Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A Classroom Transformation


Provided by +Ashli Bertrand, High School

I decided to do something different this year in my psychology and sociology classes. I spent a morning with +Suzie Wilburn in the technology department for a technology integration professional development credit. She mentioned something about a Google Classroom training that she was conducting online and told me about some of the cool things that can be done in the class using it.

I was intrigued and asked if I could get the information from her class. I went through the information, searched the internet, and even ordered some books about using Google Classroom. I decided to give it a try this year. This was the best decision that I have ever made in my 21 years of teaching. Since all of our students are wired to technology, I figured that the best thing for me to do as a teacher is to jump on board.

Using Google Classroom has kept me from having to stand in the line at the copy machine every morning. It has eliminated the use of paper in my classroom, and the students love it. It has worked really well for me since I have 3 students in DAEP. I am able to communicate with them, and their assignments are there for them each time they log in. It has also eliminated students coming to me and saying that they know they turned in an assignment, and I must have lost it. There is a trail for every assignment that a student does on Google Classroom. I even missed 3 days of school with a sick child and was able to log on to the classroom during each class period to communicate with my students and answer questions. Most of their quizzes and tests can now be graded by the add-on app called Flubaroo. This is amazing because I am able to spend less time grading and more time finding creative assignments that my students can do in class.

One of the most amazing things that I love about Google Classroom is that it is portable. No matter where I am, I can access it and grade papers, post announcements, or add assignments to my class. The students also like this because they have their phones readily accessible and have access to our classroom. When they are sick, they do not get behind in class because they can log on and see what is happening for the day. I encourage everyone to explore Google Classroom. It has been a huge blessing for myself and all of my students!



No comments:

Post a Comment